COMPASSTRANSLATION AWARD FROM RT PARTNERS
2012Marina Tsvetaeva Competition
The editors and partners of Cardinal Points Literary Journal are pleased to announce the results of the 2012 Compass Translation competition. The Compass Award was established in 2011 by Cardinal Points Journal in order to recognize the best English translations of Russian poetry. Each year the competition is dedicated to the works of a particular Russian poet. In 2012, the poet is Marina Tsvetaeva.
We received more than 70 translations of Marina Tsvetaeva’s poems, rendered by contestants from the United States, Russia, Europe, Egypt, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. By early August a team of judges came together to select a short list of 8 poems, and ultimately decide on the top 3 translations. The winners were selected in early October.
Below are the results of 2012 Compass Award competition:
- 1st prize
- The Poem of the End. Alyssa Gillespie, USA
- 2nd prize
- Upon a Red Steed. Brian Droitcour, USA
- 3rd prize
An Attempt at Jealousy.
Leah Goldberger, Egypt and Eugene
THE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- One translated poem per entry (participant’s choice). Team entries are allowed.
- The translation, along with the Russian original, should be sent via email both in the body of the message and as an attached Word file at the Compass Contest email address (email@example.com) with the words “Tsvetaeva Contest” in the subject line.
- Participant’s name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address should appear only on the cover page of the Word file.
- The contest entry fee is $15 per entry paid online through the Cardinal Points donation page. If for any reason – political, geographical, or technical – you are unable to submit your entry fee, please send a request for a fee waiver to the same address. The organizers consider such waivers as exceptions.
- The number of entries is not limited, but each entry is considered separately.
- Department of Slavic Languages,
- Georgetown University (US)
- Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, Montclair State University (US)
- The Pushkin Club (UK)
- The Scotland-Russia Forum (UK)
- Russian American Cultural Center (US)
- M.I.Tsvetaeva Museum (Moscow)
THE PANEL OF JUDGES
- Marina Boroditskaya (Russia)
- Robert Chandler (UK)
- Catherine Ciepiela (US)
- Peter Daniels (UK)
- Boris Dralyuk (US)
- Sibelan Forrester (US)
- Peter France (UK)
- Ilya Kaminsky (US)
- J. Kates (US)
- George Kline (US)
- Grigory Kruzhkov (Russia)
- Angela Livingstone (UK)
- Irina Mashinski (US)
- Grigory Starikovsky (US)
- Alexei Tsvetkov (US)
- Alexander Veytsman (US)